Your gums are the foundation of your teeth. Having healthy gums is important to keep your teeth heathy. Gingivitis is very common affecting 55% of adults. It is an inflammation of the gums causing your gums to become red, swollen and bleed. It is caused by a build up of food and plaque near the gum line and it is totally reversible. But if it is left untreated it can lead to the irreversible and more destructive gum disease called Periodontitis. Periodontitis is the more severe form of gum disease that can cause your teeth to loosen or even fall out.
About this concern
What are the symptoms of Gingivitis?
- Swollen or soft puffy gums
- Tender or painful gums
- Bleeding when flossing or brushing
- Red gums, rather than pink gums
- A bad taste or bad breath
What causes Gingivitis?
- Poor brushing and flossing
- Tobacco Smoking
- Certain medication
- Heart disease
How can you treat Gingivitis?
- Brush at least twice a day for 2-3 minutes
- Floss or clean between all your teeth at least once a day
- See a hygienist or dentist to professionally clean your teeth
- Use an antibacterial mouthwash
- Stop smoking
If you notice any pain or problems in the health of your gums, don’t wait and make an appointment with a dental professional right away.